We all strive to eat healthy and live a healthy life, but in today’s fast-paced world, it sometimes seems like an impossible thing to do. There is so much around us that’s unhealthy, starting with the food we eat, the water we drink, as well as the air we breathe. This can all negatively affect our health, and unless you live somewhere far away from civilization, chances are, you can’t escape any of these negative factors.
If you’ve been following health articles, either online or in printed media, you have probably come across the words ‘detoxing’ and ‘cleansing’. While the words themselves might have given you a vague idea of what they mean, for a lot of people, they still sound more like buzzwords than something actually meaningful.
So, what do ‘detoxing’ and ‘cleansing’ actually mean? Well, detoxing and cleansing means getting rid of the toxins, any harmful substances that have accumulated in your body. There are 5 major sources of toxins:
1. Food. With the amount of unhealthy food around us, it’s no wonder we’re exposed to toxins. Fatty, greasy food might be delicious, but they’re doing great harm to our bodies.
2. Water. Our water sources are increasingly in danger of pollution, and tap water is not safe to drink in some parts of the world, so many people have to buy bottled water or water purification systems for their household.
3. Environment. Ideally, it would be great if we could all live far away from sources of pollution, but that’s not a reality for many. Even in the countryside, we can be exposed to pollutants, and there’s not much we can do about it.
4. Beauty and personal care products. While they do make us pretty, applying those products onto our bodies brings in harmful toxins can have serious long-term effects on our health.
5. Stress. This is arguably one of the most overlooked sources of toxins. Our body produces toxins in stressful situations that can negatively affect us, without us even being aware of that.
How to Cleanse and Detox Body
Our bodies have a natural ability to detox through removing the “waste” thanks to the excretory system. However, if there’s too much toxins, your body cannot keep up with it, and the extra toxins get trapped in your body. In this case, you need to give it a little ‘push’. Namely, you can do one of the following things:
· Keep a healthy diet. This means no fast food and plenty of fruits and vegetables that are rich in fiber. This will keep your body going, and it will help it get rid of those harmful toxins faster.
· Drink lots of water. You’ll often hear that you need to be drinking at least 2 liters of water a day, even more on a hot summer’s day. If you’re craving something that has a taste of juice, you can try adding slices of cucumber or lemon to your water.
· Exercise. Another clever way of speeding up your body’s natural detoxifying function is through exercise. Physical activity spurs on many of your body’s systems.
· Air purification. If you don’t happen to live in a place with clean air, you can try purifying the air in your home using an air purification device. They come in various price ranges, so you can easily find the one that best suits your needs and your budget.
In addition to all his, you can try special detox kits, which are pharmaceutical products specially created for detoxing and cleansing your body. These detox kits come in various forms, and they have different phrasing that might confuse you, so it’s a good idea that you do some research before choosing a particular detox kit. Thanks to the power of the Internet and the online reviews, that shouldn’t be a very difficult task.
Why is Detoxing and Cleansing Important?
By detoxifying and cleansing your body, you’re giving it a ‘fresh start’ that can have a huge positive influence on your life. Just the psychological effect of knowing that you have gotten rid of harmful substances can be very helpful. It won’t take long until you notice some of these positive effects, and your body will thank you for that.
For starters, you’ll notice that you will sleep better, and this is especially true if you exercise. The latter will use up a lot of energy, which will make you want to go to sleep earlier. And by going to sleep earlier, you increase the chances of getting your recommended 8 hours of sleep a night and you will get into a healthier sleep schedule.
The toxins can also make you feel depressed, so by cleansing your body, you will feel a lot better, more cheerful and filled with energy that comes from a positive attitude. And that can make you more productive and more willing to socialize, which are all important things for a healthy life.
Detoxing and cleansing is also hugely beneficial if you’re trying to lose weight. By removing the toxins from your body, you’re preparing it for a better diet, and you will find yourself craving unhealthy food less than before. Try to get your body used to healthier food – a treat or two is fine from time to time, but don’t overdo it!
In addition to all this, cleansing can help you combat various other problems, such as chronic fatigue, poor concentration, memory loss, as well as hormone imbalance. Before getting serious with detoxing, you should consult your doctor and see what works best for you and your particular condition.
Why You Should Detox
You might be thinking that you’re living a pretty healthy life and that you don’t need to detox your body. Well, the harsh truth is that, no matter how careful you are, you’re going to be exposed to toxins in one way or another. Here are some ways in which we cannot avoid being exposed to toxins:
· Living in cities. When you’re in a big city, you’re surrounded with polluted air, especially if you live somewhere close to the city center. The traffic exhaust fumes, as well as the noise generated by the traffic can all negatively affect you, and you can do very little to avoid it. Well, unless you decide to move somewhere else, but that’s not an option for many.
· Buying supermarket food. Modern mass-produced food is full of added ingredients, including preservatives and flavor enhancers. If you don’t have access to fresh, organic food, you’re stuck with the largely unhealthy supermarket food.
· Cleaning your house. Yes, as ironic as it may sound, cleaning can be quite harmful. Namely, if you’re using a lot of industrial cleaning products, you’re going to be exposed to harmful chemicals, either by inhaling the fumes, or by coming directly into contact with them. An alternative to this is to use homemade cleaning products. If you have the patience to research what it takes to make a homemade cleaning product, you can create alternatives to harsh chemicals that you usually use. And you can save a few bucks in the process.
When Is The Best Time for Detoxing?
Making the decision to detox and cleanse your body is very important, and it’s just as important to ask yourself ‘When do I want to start detoxing?’ A good answer would be that it’s always a good time to start detoxing, because taking care of your body is always a good decision. Still, there might be some time in a year when it makes perfect sense to start. For example, in spring. Many people feel inspired after a long, dark winter, so they are eager to start making some changes. Why not include detox as one of those changes? You will certainly find it easier to do that when you’re already committed to making changes in spring.
You could also start detoxing in summer. Summer is the time when fruit is in season, and you can get it for cheaper that what you would pay throughout the year. And not to mention it will a lot tastier. Plus, long warm days are perfect for outdoor exercise; you can jog or run in the nature, hike or just walk around the neighborhood. You may not like the constant sweating, but that will be very beneficial for getting rid of the toxins from your body.
Another good time to start cleansing would be in the fall. You can still catch enough warm days to do some exercise outdoors, and you can prepare for winter when you will inevitably gain a bit of weight due to inactivity and more high-calorie food. Detoxing in the fall also boosts your immune system, which you will definitely appreciate in the winter.
Start Detoxing Today!
You don’t have to be a health expert to realize how important detoxing and cleansing is, and you don’t have to invest a lot to start living a healthier life. The Internet is full of good advice, and you can freely choose whatever suits you best. Once you start detoxing, you will notice that many aspects of your life are changing for the better – it might not happen overnight, but any positive change for your body, no matter how big or small, is beneficial for you.